I purchased a Wacom Bamboo Create tablet a couple weeks ago to assist in graphics creation and editing for the site, and it was getting scratches in my backpack. I decided it needed a cover.
I started by measuring the tablet:
Then made a quick sketch in Paper for the case design:
I didn’t want the fuss of a zipper, but did want something that would protect the edges and corners well. I decided a shape like a manilla envelope would work well. This let me cut a single piece rather than multiple, minimize the bulk created by seams, and move most of that bulk from the edges to flat surfaces where they wouldn’t be noticeable. I intentionally left the bottom seam to provide a bit more cushion in case my bag gets dropped or set down hard.
From the sketch I created a pattern:
If you blow up the picture you can see how I sketched in the dimension lines and then added the details of the angles afterwards. Note that I cut only half the pattern out of poster board, and will cut through two thicknesses of the fabric when I cut out the pattern. I also always make my patterns to the finished size, and add seam allowances when I cut. That lets me vary the seam allowance to match the sort of fabric I’m cutting and the type of seam (interlock vs overlock, for instance) that I will use for stitching up.
I chose some dark green fleece for the lining and some sage green wool gaberdine for the outer fabric:
The wrinkling and pulling of the outer fabric is because I didn’t think through how much bulk was added by the lining. I should have cut the outer layer a bit larger.
It works well! No more scratches!