First, the finished ironing board cover photos! I have been quilting all day, so it’s pretty compressed. I’m pleased with how the wool batting rebounds as it dries— those photos were about an hour ago and it’s already mostly recovered— but the light is gone so I can’t get another picture today. Calling it done and moving on!
I completed connecting the blocks for the first quadrant of my new bed quilt last week:
Today I finished a second quadrant, and sewed them together:
Er, I should say I sewed them together wrong. Twice. There is no photographic evidence of the second mistake. Third time’s a charm:
I was going to work all day on this and try to get the whole thing together, but given the two mistakes I think I’ll leave off for another day.
Over the weekend I picked up another vintage machine: a Singer 15-90. SN# AH 542337, commissioned on April Fools Day, 1948.
I’ve named her after Marie Tharp, who began work on the project that changed the way we see the world in 1948. She researched and constructed the first map showing the topography of the sea floor as well as the continents, fueling interest in plate tectonics, which had been an extremely controversial theory prior to her work.
First thing I did was strip off the motor, oil her, then put her on the treadle base.
She makes fantastic stitches once I got her tension dialed in. Started from the right and worked towards the left, so you can see how the adjustments progressed:
Look how perfect the last row is:
Free motion quilting with this setup is going to be awesome!